Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Vollie at Dirty Girls

Okay, here is how my logic worked during the DG weekend...  I think a lack of sleep played a role.  After hiking the Tour de Mont Blanc, we spent a few days in Annecy, a tourist town on the east side of France.  To avoid confusion (this also played a part), I'll keep all times in EST.  We woke up in Annecy, France at 01:30 AM on Friday morning and drove to the airport in Geneva Switzerland.  So far, so good.  The flight was longish at 11 hours, with a stop in Montreal.  Just long enough to debark, get our luggage, clear customs and board the same plane we had been on 90 minutes before!

We left Pearson airport in Toronto circa 7:00 PM and drove home.  Just a quick note - I finished unpacking 4 days later, when I had a few moments.  After a few chores and some unpacking, it was 10:30 PM and time for bed.  For those trying to do the conversion, it was 4:30 AM Saturday in France.  I woke up at 04:00 AM Saturday, showered and drove to the DG race, which is 10 minutes from my house.  Not sure if you see where this is going, but I had only 5.5 hours of sleep in the last 28 and my day was just starting!

Volunteering at an aid station keeps you busy.  I had a wonderful time supporting and cheering on the 24 and 48 hour runners.  The day just flew!  Next thing I know, it is 5:00 PM and I am getting very tired.  I figure (this is completely wrong) that I would get to sleep early and show up at the race site at 02:00 AM Sunday, the point where most vollies and runners are starting to have a really tough time.  I went home, did some chores (we had been away for 2 weeks) and got to bed at 10:00 PM...  I woke up at 02:00 AM Sunday morning and was at the race site by 02:30 AM.  Anyone keeping track of how much sleep I was getting, because I didn't!  The race finished at 08:00 AM and I broke course.  Someone was nice enough to help, so I only had to pick up the flags, tape, signs and garbage for half the course, or 4K.

For no apparent reason, I was tired at work for the next 4 days!

I'll post again soon, but that's it for today.  On my run this evening, I was stung by a yellow jacket wasp.  Almost the exact same spot I was stung last year.  Seriously!  Within meters of the same spot on the same trail!  I hate wasps!  The insect.

35 weeks until retirement...

No comments:

Post a Comment